Friday, August 24, 2012

Gen Con: Part 1

I have been wanting to write something all week but with this lovely "sickness" I received at GenCon it has completely slowed me down. I actually got excited today as my ears finally popped and I could hear again! It meant I was getting better and I've had this sickness for 7 days now.

This is the first convention I have been too that has caused me to get sick. I'm not sure if it's because of how huge GenCon is or the fact there is more people not washing there hands or really taking steps not to spread germs? I can honestly understand why Wil Wheaton is so big on people not getting to close to him at conventions.

First off, I'm going to do a few different posts about GenCon and hopefully get these done in the next few days. This post is mostly about the dice bag I created for Wil Wheaton and me meeting him for the first time. Few people get to see how much of a fangirl I can be but I am a nerd and love my fandoms. I don't usually express it by jumping around and screaming like we usually see around the internet. I'm more of a silent fangirl. I was pretty nervous about meeting someone I have been a fan of for years. I love the fact how much of a nerd he is and that he loves his fans.
The day before GenCon offically started I went with Pete(my boyfriend) to get his badge and I actually asked a few people working there where exactly Wil would be signing autographs. I didn't want to mess around with figuring this all out on the day of. Yes, I wanted to make sure I got to meet Wil Wheaton.

On Thursday the first day of GenCon I got Pete up really early(7AM) to make sure we would make it to the Exhibit Hall in time. Pete was amazing and humored me this whole time even standing in line for almost a hour to get into the Exhibit Hall first. When they finally were letting people in I grabbed his hand and we made our way through the doors and to the back of the Exhibit Hall. I even started moving quickly a little and Pete picked up the pace to a run. So yes, I was first in line that day to meet Wil Wheaton. 
 I really thought, I wouldn't even have the guts to even say anything to him. I am a very shy person when I first meet someone and to actually meet someone I've been a fan of for so many years....yeah right? It helped immensely that Pete was there the whole time with me. Pete, I hate to say is not really a fan of Wil Wheaton but he knew how important this was for me. He kept encouraging me to speak and give Wil the dice bag. I actually got worried Wil wouldn't accept the gift but a few fans told me in the line that he would. He just didn't like people getting too close to him because of germs/etc.
I'm not even sure what I said to him but I'm sure it was along the lines of, "Here I made this for you..." The look on his face when I first gave it to him was great and I about melted. He loved that I made it and told me he would put all the dice he got that day into it. I was happy to see it would be put to good use and yes, of course I got a autograph too.


0 Craft Comments: